Sunday, October 14, 2007

Cowboy Hat for Snowman Pattern


Even though I don't have the top hat finished yet, I thought I'd go ahead and post the cowboy hat pattern. Here it is. I hope it's written well. Please let me know as soon as possible if you run into something weird!

Snowman's Cowboy Hat
copyright 2007 Anita M. Wheeless

Cast one stitch onto a size 8 or larger needle.

Knit back and forth for the next several rows, as follows:

k1, p1, k1 all in the same stitch

knit

k1 f&b in each (6 stitches now)

knit

k1 f&b in each (12 stitches now)

Divide onto the three size 8 dpn by knitting them on. You will have four stitches on each needle. Put a stitch marker to mark first round and join by

k1 f&b, k1

knit

k1 f&b, k2

knit

k1 f&b, k3

knit 2 rounds

then k1 f&b, k4

knit 2 rounds

then k1 f&b, k5

knit five rounds

Then increase in each stitch all the way around (this is for the brim)

knit 2 rounds

then knit 2 together all the way around

bind off

Throw in lingerie bag and put in the washer. Felt as given for snowman. Once the hat comes out, you must shape it into the form you want. For the cowboy look, I pushed the center down (made a crease, like a dimpled chin); then I rolled the brim up and bent it into the cowboy shape on the sides. I used the snowman as the head form while it dried.
This same pattern could also be a bowler hat by sewing up the tiny hole in the center and not creasing it down but rather rounding it out. Also, do not bend the sides, but rather keep them rounded. You could also make this into a fedora-style hat. The object you choose as your form to shape your hat while it dries makes all the difference.
If you run into any difficulties, please send me an email!

No comments: