Saturday, February 17, 2007

Cookie of the Month for March


Here is a photo of the Chocolate Sugar Cookies featured in the March Martha Stewart Living Magazine. The recipe calls for using an ice-cream scoop to make 8 giant sugar cookies. Well, no one in our house likes GIANT cookies, so I adjusted this and used a regular-sized cookie scoop and baked them for 15 minutes, checking after 10 minutes. I ended up with about 24 of them. The first half, I rolled in granulated sugar. These are AWFUL! Way too sweet. The second batch I left plain as in the recipe. Much better. Kent says, "They taste like I'm eating a crunchy brownie."
As you can see, mine did not flatten as much or end up with as many crinkles. I just used Hershey's Cocoa, as that's what I had on hand; not an expensive brand of Dutch- process cocoa. This may be why mine are a bit more pale, as well.
The recipe claims you can use butter and shortening for a softer cookie and all butter for a crunchier one. I used the half butter/half shortening version. The outsides are crunchy, but the insides are softer, though not super soft. Very interesting. I think maybe they'd be better with a chopped walnut in there! Give them a try and tell me what you think.

No comments: