Monday, March 5, 2007

Testing Time!

This week is testing week! So, I finally have a little time to write again. Sorry I haven't updated in awhile! I was waiting until I had some more of my foods/toys knitted before I posted so that I could put some photos here. Amelia's camera took a tumble at her Tae-Kwon-Do brown-belt testing on Saturday, so it's out of commission at present. I'll try to get some photos up using the old camera later.

While the camera took a tumble, the belt testers did not! Happily, Colette, Amelia and Kent all passed their brown-belt test! They had a little ceremony to award the belts right at the testing! It was quite exciting. They'll get to change from white uniforms to black now, too!

Last week, we headed to Durham for the state chess tournament. I was all prepared to spend the whole weekend knitting; however, my head had other plans. Thursday evening my migraine started. It didn't go away until Sunday, so I didn't get much done. The hotel room was nice; however, and the bed was comfy. Fortunately, I could pull the drapes and get it quite dark. I'll post a column-like bit about the hotel restaurant later!
Amelia placed 14th in the high-school division! Congratulations to her! She was up against stiff competition. Check out the chess website .

Despite the setback last weekend, I am almost finished with the Boston Terrier! I just have to knit his ears and then finish working on his face. He came out pretty well, although I'm not completely happy with the overstitching. I'll have to practice more before I start the tiny pieces for the Nativity set. The Boston Terrier pattern had some strange wording and I had to just figure some of it out as I went along. I guess that's how it is with a lot of patterns and this was an old Beehive pattern from the '40s or '50s.
Meanwhile, my bidding on the Alice in Wonderland Dormouse-in-a-teapot pattern went way out of my reach ... I finally had to admit defeat and give it up. I stopped bidding at $38!!! In the end, I guess I'm glad, because I was doing a search this morning and found a darling felted teapot and pattern posted on a blog! Go take a look here at Grammieknits blog.

I can't wait to make it! Look under August 2006. I am going to try to change it a little to make it bigger and, as I don't know how to crochet, I'm going to knit the lid with dpns. The teacup and saucer are incredibly cute, too! I have two skeins of blue Cascade 220 and I think I'll try that. Cascade 220 always felts reliably.
I have finished the prototypes for the knitted tea-party treats and have decided I need stiffer cardboard inside the tea biscuits. I finally found some nice, dark brown dk yarn to knit the ginger biscuits. I have noticed that dk-weight yarn is very difficult to find locally. Everything seems to be too light weight or too heavy. Either sock yarn or worsted. Drat!

As soon as I have the whole tea party ready, I'll take photos! Check back by the end of the week. Happy Monday to all!

1 comment:

Jane said...

Thanks for your compliment on my tea cup. that post was an old one. You must have done some digging to find it! I'm going to bookmark this blog - can't wait to see your completed tea party!