Friday, June 13, 2008

Knitting in the Round on Double-Pointed Needles

It seems like a long, long time ago, but I remember when I used to think that knitting on double-pointed needles was way too difficult for me. I remember casting on stitches, only to have them slip off of one needle after the other as I tried to divide them. It was so frustrating. AARRGGHHH! I'd have my trusty book open to the right page and time after time, I'd try it again. Yet, time after time, I'd throw the tangled mess down.
THEN ... one day, I signed up for a sock class. This class was taught by the incredible SOCK LADY! She revealed to all of us the way her grandmother had taught her ... cast on the stitches called for, then KNIT them onto each needle. This will really count as the first round of most patterns ... but my patterns take this into consideration and actually begin counting rounds after that one.
I can't tell you what a breakthrough this was and how much I appreciate the SOCK LADY!
So, the moral of this story is: If you have had trouble knitting with double-pointed needles because your stitches keep falling off before you can even begin, then try knitting them when dividing and your entire life will change for the better!!!

No comments: