Friday, July 13, 2007

Dyeing Day!






Wow. I'm tired. I've been experimenting not only with wet felting, but I've been dyeing roving for the past two days in preparation for the yarn store's workshop. I had to come up with a form to needle felt the wine sack. After trying lots of things (even carving florist's foam) and finally I came up with bending a piece of foam into a cylinder; keeping it that way with rubber bands and then wrapping it entirely in plastic wrap. Amazingly, it worked!
Here's a photo of the wine sack. I think it came out pretty well for a first try. Some of the glue from the water-soluble paper didn't melt off, but as it's on the inside, it's not that noticeable. I need to poke holes in it now and thread ribbon or something else through the top to tie it off.
My first attempt at the sack shrunk in height, but not in width! It looks ridiculous. I'm thinking maybe it could be a small evening bag, with the right kind of drawstring ... and maybe I'll add some seed beads to make it more exotic.

No comments: